Topps Traded.....Tiffany??


I got a trade package in from a Reddit user containing a big pile of my Dodger needs. I knew what was in the package as I had been sent a picture of the contents, but then when I opened it I realized I didn't know what I was getting. In some instances, that can be a bad thing, but not this time.


Included in this package was the Dodger team sets from the 1990 and 1991 Topps Traded sets. I already owned the Darryl Strawberry, but I was ok with having an extra to get the rest of the Dodgers I needed. 


Upon inspection, these cards looked super clean, but I just thought maybe they had recently been busted out of a factory set. When I went to check them off my want list, I noticed the strange coloring on the back and it hit me.

Tiffany.


I was instantly stoked as the only Topps Tiffany card I owned before was an 89 Jesse Orosco. The Tiffany cards are pretty rare, especially the 1991 set.


Topps Tiffany were printed in Italy on a white gloss cardboard as opposed to the normal rough cardboard used by Topps. Tiffany sets were made from 1983-1991 and most sets had a print run of 5-10 thousand. The late 80's sets ballooned up in production numbers a bit. It's speculated that the 1991 Tiffany sets had the lowest print run of all.


Here you can see the difference in the backs of the Tiffany cards compared to regular Topps. The one on the left is Tiffany.


Brett Butler's first Topps card in a Dodgers uniform... in Tiffany form! Butler was one of my guys as a kid.



Yea, Hall of Famer Gary Carter came over to L.A. for a bit. 



I was so stoked when Strawberry came to the Dodgers. I had been a big fan of his while he was in New York. He had one good season in L.A. before Eric Davis came to town and us Dodger fans know how that pairing turned out. 

I didn't have the Tiffany cards even listed on my want lists before, but now I think I'm gonna have to go after them. That's the completist mentality in me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Surprise from my Better Half

Adding my Collection to the TCDB has Taught me Something...

Dodgers in bunches from Night Owl