And Now For Something Completely Different.....


I've always been a fan of cards you don't see that often. As a kid, anytime I would see weird cards I had to at least try a pack. Garbage Pail Kids. Star Wars. Alf. A-Team. Ghostbusters. Olympics. Desert Storm. Marvel. You name it. I occasionally watched boxing with my dad and would always show him the boxing cards I would pull from Olympic sets. I remember the first time I found Kayo boxing cards and being so excited to show him the George Forman I pulled from those.


Last week a Redditor posted finding some unopened wax stashed in a closet. One of those, the 1991 All World Boxing cards. I had never actually seen any of these except for online so I inquired about them. We agreed on a deal and today they arrived.


36 nine card packs. With a checklist of 149, I was hoping to pull a complete set. The packs are awful. Each one had to be carefully cut open with scissors. No way to rip these packs open at all.


The set is kicked of by a Muhammed Ali artcard. Card #3 is called Ali Bonus Card #4??? How is Ali Bonus Card #4 numbered 3 in the entire set? Shouldn't Ali Bonus Cards 1,2 & 3 be before #4 as well? Nevermind, on with the show. There's Hector Camacho down there as well.


Page 2 highlights are Buster Douglas (the guy that beat Mike Tyson), Roberto Duran and Mr. George Forman Grill himself, George Forman. 


Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Ken Norton and Sugar Ray Leonard land on star studded Page 3. Oh, and there's Ali Bonus Card #2... after Bonus Card #4 and before Bonus Card #1. Geez.


Nothing exciting on Page 4 except Ali Bonus Card #5. My head is starting to hurt.


Ali Bonus Card #3 sits on this page at #40 while Ali Bonus Card #1 is there as well at #44. 



Page 7 features the great heavyweight Primo Carnera.


Page 8 sports the only foil card in the set at #69 Muhammed Ali. Jack Dempsey also shows up on this page.



Page 10 showcases Kid Galivan, the originator of the bolo punch and Smokin Joe Frazier.


Page 11 introduces us to 2 of the all-time greatest boxers, Jack Johnson and Jake LaMotta of Raging Bull fame.


Showing up, finally, on page 12 is my favorite boxer of all-time, Rocky Marciano. Joe Louis and Sonny Liston also drop by.


The Duke John Wayne's relative Tommy Morrison lands on Page 13. Tommy was sypposed to be the next big thing and it never panned out. 


Maybe, pound-for-pound the greatest boxer to ever step in a ring, Sugar Ray Robinson is the standout of page 14.



Page 16 features lots of classic bouts. Robinson vs LaMotta VI. Tunny vs Dempsey II. 


More classic bouts on page 17. Clay vs Liston. Ali vs Forman. Ali vs Frazier III. Hagler vs Hearns.

149 cards. That's still an odd number to me. Wonder why they didn't stretch it to 150?


I ended up getting 2 complete sets from this box, so if anyone wants a set, just get at me. 

Comments

  1. I've had a bunch of these pass through my collection at different points of my life. Not exactly sure how I acquired them. Maybe part of collection purchases? Anyways... very impressed with this checklist... although the Ali numbering is kind of weird. Personally... the only boxing product I really opened was the Kayo cards you mentioned. I remember tearing into packs looking for the holograms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Kayo cards were alot of fun. Now I'm gonna have to look around and see if I can find mine, lol.

      Delete
  2. Very cool post, thanks for sharing. How much are you hoping to get for that second complete set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much at all man. Shipping would be the worst part. You're in the UK right?

      Delete
    2. Belgium. Thanks but I'll stick to Dodgers since 1991.

      Delete
  3. I think I need a handful of cards from this set. Any chance you have a bunch of triples if AmericanFrog takes the second set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I'm good. I really like them but I want to stick to my collection of Dodgers 1991-present. If I start venturing into such territory, who knows what could happen to me.... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Surprise from my Better Half

Adding my Collection to the TCDB has Taught me Something...

1991 Topps... Vintage or Junk Wax