Dodger Relic Mailday and... the Junk Relic Era?!?


I don't go all crazy over relic cards, the hype on those died out years ago for me. Much like everything else in the card collecting world, overproduction has taken over. We had the junk wax era, I think from about 2002-present we can safely call the junk relic era. Autographs have become a victim of overproduction as well. I read somewhere the other day that Vladimir Guerrero Jr has signed over 15,000 cards in 2019 alone. Wow. 

Anyway, I got some Dodger relics cards for next to nothing and they came in the mail today. 


The upside to the overproduction is getting to pick up gems like this 2018 Panini Diamond King DK Materials Pee Wee Reese on the cheap. 1st relic I own of Pee Wee and I love it. Looks like a bat shard and jersey. Card states game used material but who knows from when, who or where.


2002 Playoff Piece of the Game Jersey Relic of Kevin Brown. This one is #'d/250 and says its an actual game used jersey.


Also scored this sweet 2018 Topps Major League Material Corey Seager. This one says "Game Used Memorabilia". 


2019 Gallery Dennis Santana Autograph. My first auto of Santana. I think I have a 2019 Chrome Blue Autograph of his incoming as well.


Also scored this 2018 Panini Flawless Carl Furillo Game Used Relic #'d/15. The material on this one actually does look and feel old. 


Verdugo and Buehler 2018 Topps Fire Rookie Cards also arrived in this package. First 2018 Fire Dodgers in my collection. I really like how they look like cards straight out of the 90's.


2018 Gallery Walker Buehler RC. My 2018 Gallery Dodgers are lacking as well. I think I only have Verdugo, Farmer and now Buehler.


And to close out this package a 2018 Topps Chrome Freshman Flashback Alex Verdugo. Any time I get a new Verdugo card I'm stoked. Really hoping Dugie comes back from his back injury strong in 2020. 

I like relic cards, but I don't like the way they stretch out my binder pages. 

Comments

  1. I never put relics in binders. They have their own box. They also all get some kind of sleeve and/or toploader; of course, you need to have oversized sleeves for many of them.

    I do agree that there's a saturation of relics out there. Bought a bunch at a show a few months back for 50 cents each, and really less than that with a quantity discount. Fine by me! I'm actually surprised I don't see more cheap relics at shows given that even hall of fame level players have relics going for $3 or less....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me wants to put them in top loaders and in a box, but another part of me wanta to put them with all my other Dodgers by year and sets in my Dodger binders. I can keep better track of what I have from each set that way. Do they even make sheets for relic cards?

      Do you put your serial numbered cards in binders or top loaders for them too? I'm always curious as to how other collectors manage their collections.

      Delete
    2. My relics go in top loaders (if I can get them to fit) and are stored away from my binders. I can't stand them warping page pockets. I have enough problems with Triple Threads and similar too-thick cards.

      Autographs go in a separate binder. All other Dodgers cards go in my Dodgers binders sorted by year, brand, name.

      Delete
    3. I hear you on the Triple Threads, lol. I think the Panini Flawless Furillo relic I got in this lot is the thickest card I have ever owned. Its like 2 of those decoy thick cards Panini inserts into packs glued together.

      I put 1 certified auto from each Dodger I get into magnetic one touches. The rest I've been putting in top loaders for now. My Dodger ttm autographs replace the same card in my Dodger binders. I'm gonna take this autograph binder into consideration.

      Delete
  2. Junk Relic Era. I like it. My relic cards go into top loaders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Surprise from my Better Half

Dodgers in bunches from Night Owl

Adding my Collection to the TCDB has Taught me Something...